Tuesday, August 9, 2011

YES! Vindication Is Mine!

You can't see me right now, but just know that I am currently fist pumpin' in the air!  Why?  I think I may have finally made some progress in helping my children see how lucky (and privileged) they are to have a mom who does not work (at least not outside the home - trust me, I do plenty of work!).  
You see, for several months last spring, my boys were asking (ok, begging) me to sign them up for after school care at their school.  Apparently, lots of their friends GET to go to after school care which is just all kinds of fun and excitement.  While they HAVE to have their mom pick them up from school and take them home (poor babies usually have to deal with some sort of homemade snack waiting for them too!).
At the beginning of summer, I happened upon a groupon-type deal for a weeks worth of "summer camp" (read day care) for a ridiculously low price.  When asked if they were interested, they gave a very enthusiastic thumbs up!
Yesterday was their first day of camp, and they were so excited they could hardly STAND IT.  When I asked them when they would like to be picked up, the little one's response was "as late as you possibly can."  Well, I got there at 4 and it didn't take long to see that camp was not exactly what they expected.  They looked mighty pitiful, and I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me just a little bit happy to see how miserable they were (evil, right?).
This morning, after breakfast, the little guy asked if I could come get them after two hours.  They regaled me with tales of how disgusting the lunch was, how measly the snack was (just 6 animal crackers - apparently they counted!), and how rude and wild all the kids were (now, if this is not the pot calling the kettle black).
Today I only made them stay a half day.  Considering it's only Tuesday I figured I better pace myself.  I suppose I could just chock this up to a lesson learned and let 'em hang out here at home with me for the rest of the week, but that ain't gonna happen.  You see, I'm REALLY enjoying my peace and quiet.  I have been entertaining, cooking, playing with, and breaking up fights all summer long.  And I'm tired.  Really.
So they will finish out the week at summer camp.  And I will have a few more days of quiet time.  And I'm figuring that there will be no more talk of  the after school program once school starts up in a few weeks!  Apparently, hanging with mom is not so bad.  :)

1 comment:

  1. This made me laugh! Glad the kids are appreciating you, even if they have to suffer first to "get it". I know you work your tail off and you do a GREAT job! Enjoy the peace and quiet...more to come soon! :)

    ReplyDelete