Monday, August 15, 2011

Want Your Kids To Eat More Fruit?

Fresh fruit in a wire basket
photo credit
I am always trying to get my kids to eat healthier.  And I have to say that they do a pretty good job of it.  One way I get them to make smarter choices is as simple as setting fresh fruit out within sight (and reach!).  I have stopped sticking all my apples, oranges, bananas and grapes in a drawer in the fridge.  We were forgetting about them, and then when I finally remembered they were in there I'd find them a moldy, nasty mess.  I have wasted more fruits and veggies sticking them in a crisper drawer than I care to admit.
Now my fruit goes in a simple colored bowl on the kitchen table.  I put stuff in there that is washed and ready to be eaten.  I am surprised by how often I hear "Mom, can I have (an apple, cutie, some grapes)?"  When it's right there waiting for them, they tend to eat it.  I bought a bag of cutie oranges on Friday, and put them all in a bowl on the table.  There are three left.  It's Monday morning.
My veggies, I try to put on the shelf, readily visible.  That way I know what I've got, and I use it before it goes bad.  Out of sight, out of mind is how those crisper drawers work for me.  I'm going to start using them for storing stuff I want the kids to have to really think about before they go grab one.  Maybe store my sodas in there.  Yep, that sounds like a gameplan.

No comments:

Post a Comment