Sunday, September 11, 2011

PB & J Sushi

Tired of the same ol' PB&J sammies?  Yeah, me too.  Which, considering we're not even a month into the school year is NOT a good sign.  I don't know what my issue is, but I better get outta this rut or it will be a very long year.  The Jif website (of course!) has this fun recipe for turning boring PB&J's into sushi.  This will liven up lunch a bit!
Directions:
  1. Remove all crusts from the bread.  Completely flatten the bread with a rolling pin or large soup can.
  2. Spread one tablespoon peanut butter and one tablespoon fruit spread on each slice of bread.
  3. Roll each slice into a tight spiral.  Cut each spiral into four slices.
I have tried something similar to this in the past and it didn't turn out so well.  I think the key is to not really load up on the peanut butter and jelly.  A little goes a long way.  Otherwise it squirts out all over and makes a big mess.  

1 comment:

  1. My grandmother made these for us as special treats many decades ago. She rolled the bread thinner than shown in the pic, and she varied the fillings with PB&J, PB and mayo and Cheez Whiz and mayo. Before cutting, she wrapped the rolls in wax paper, stacked them in a pan and chilled for several hours. The treats kept their shape perfectly. My cousin and I couldn't get enough of these, and we still get nostalgic about them and the good memories that came with them.

    ReplyDelete