Friday, July 22, 2011

Lunchbox Ideas

In case you haven't looked at the calendar lately, the end of summer is rapidly approaching!  We have one month before school starts.  Which means back to school shopping.  New school supplies, clothes, backpack and lunchbox.  I'd like to offer up some suggestions for lunchboxes beyond the standard lunch fare.

Last August I made the decision that I would stop sending a gajillion Ziploc bags to the landfill every school year.  I did some research and found several bento-style lunchboxes that I liked.  Here are my favorites:


This is one of two lunchboxes I have for the boys.  I cannot tell you how much I love this.  It is so ideal for leftovers, fresh fruit and veggies....items you would never, ever pack in a standard lunchbox or bag because it's too messy for a Ziploc.  See all those sweet little compartments?  When you push the lid down each one seals completely.  So your dressing from your salad doesn't mix with your cut up melon, which doesn't then make your sandwich all soggy.  They sell little embroidered bags to put them in that are so cute my boys wouldn't touch 'em with a ten foot pole.  But I found that it slipped very easily into one of those neoprene lunchboxes from Target (they came in elephants, bunnies, frogs and dogs).  So that gave it the handle and space to add a juicebox.  LOVE IT!   


This is the other box I have for the boys.  I like it because it has a water/juice bottle, which has never opened up and spilled, yet the little guy can open and close it just fine.  I alternate between this one and the My Square Meal.  They go in the dishwasher with no problems, although the stickers did eventually all come off.  I just looked on their website and see that they sell replacement sticker set, so I'm guessing I'll be making that investment soon.  That way I can trick the kids into thinking they get a "new" lunchbox this year.  :)

There are tons of alternatives out there.  These are just a few options.  I really like the concept that it's good for the environment and I find that I pack much healthier and cheaper lunches.  I cut up fruit, I add leftovers.  I can honestly say that it is quite rare that the kids do not eat every single bit of these lunches.  A much different story than when they were taking standard brown paper bag fare.  I make them leave whatever they don't eat in the box.  Not so that they get in trouble, but so that I can see what they like and don't like.







No comments:

Post a Comment