Saturday, July 30, 2011

Drive As I Say, Not As I Do?

This cannot be right.  My firstborn, my precious little baby who kept me up countless nights with colic is suddenly old enough to drive.  What sort of society allows these fresh faced, little babies the chance to get behind the wheel of a two ton death machine?!  OK, maybe I am being a little melodramatic (NO!).  But seriously - this is a child who cannot make his bed, has to be reminded to flush the toilet (seriously), and couldn't do his own laundry if his life depended on it.  Yet, there it is sitting on the counter...a newly printed learners permit with his little face staring out at me.
Suddenly every time we get in the car it's a battle over who "gets" to drive.  Considering I am the (very) proud owner of a new (to me) Cadillac, surely my nomination for Mother Of The Year is a lock! I had to wait until I'm 43 to drive one - he gets to at 15!  No fair.
Which brings me to my initial point.  Suddenly, every single thing I do in the car is scrutinized.  I now have a very attentive set of eyes squarely on me watching every thing I do behind the wheel (which is kinda scary).  Little did I realize how many times I forgot to turn on my turn signal, or come to a complete stop.  After a day or two of this behavior, I come to the realization that this may not entirely be a bad thing.  It's not that I'm a bad driver.  I'm not.  But perhaps I have gotten a little complacent.  
Think about it next time you get behind the wheel.  Imagine that you have two little eyes watching you every step of the way.  Are you doing everything as you learned in driving school?  Do you remember all the rules of the road?  I think you might be surprised to find that you may have gotten a little lazy about the whole safety thing too.  Maybe everyone's not exactly buckled in before you start to drive off.  Maybe you're fiddling with the radio, or talking on your cell phone, or handing your kiddo in the backseat a snack.
It's a hard realization that if I'm gonna talk the talk, I better be walkin' the walk too.  So having a new teenage driver in my midst has indeed made me a better driver.  Which is good for me, and YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment