Sunday, July 31, 2011

Dehydrating Update


Look what I made!  I put all the dried fruit together (you could easily add some granola or cereal and a little nuts and it would really be delish!).  It's all good, but we decided the bananas are the best.  They're not like the super hard chips you typically buy.  They're a combination of crunchy and a little soft.  They'd probably get much crisper if I let them go longer.  The fruit leather turned out great.  I cut it into strips, rolled them up and put 'em all in a glass jar.  They kids said it was "awesome" and "way better than grocery store fruit rollups."  OK, I'll take that!  Very easy and inexpensive.  The strawberry leather is just a cup of berries, 1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce, and a tablespoon of sugar pureed in a blender and dumped onto parchment paper.  Tastes just like a fresh strawberry in your mouth.
My middle child said that what he liked best was that he could put the dried fruit in his mouth and let his spit "redydrate it"!  Hmmmmmmm.......maybe a little science lesson got thrown in there too.  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment